Friday, March 10, 2006

Anise Cookies



I had this recipe tucked in my horribly disorganised exploding cookbook forever. I love having cookies or crumpets or biscuts with tea. Something about that I always crave. So after a couple failed attemps of Bunsen experimenting in the kitchen (he does that a lot, well not the failing part - the kitchen experimenting part) I decided to take things into my own hands and rooted through my collection of articles and recipes and found this one and another - raisin bars which I'll post later. I''m going to post the original recipe and than tell you after how I changed it because I almost never truely follow a recipe, it's like I can't physically or something I always find something like "Oh that's just too much sugar!" or use whole wheat flour instead white, those kind of things. These are a drier cookie although I'll working changing that, definitely a tea cookie.
Oh, these cookie are pretty darn healthy, whole wheat flour, not much butter or sugar.

I recommend as always to use all organic ingredients.

1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/2 baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon peel (I used one whole lemon)
1 1/2 tsp anise seeds
3 tbsp water or juice (I used the juice from the lemon)

I added a few spices just a little of each - ginger powder, fenugreek powder and coriander powder. Now, I know these are odd spices to be putting in cookies. But try it, you'll see, bet you'll like it.

This recipe SO easy. I just mixed the dry. Melt the butter and mix the wet. Then add the wet to the dry. And here's where I changed it a little. I felt that the dough was way too dry (you'll see) so I added a little water here and there until I got the right constistancy, you want to be able to roll them into balls. Bake for 10 minutes, I bake them on a stone but a cookie sheet would do just fine, but may be than bake them a little longer like 2 more minutes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These sound yummy, will have to try them soon, thanks for sharing the recipe!

andrewfrueh said...

They are indeed yummy!

Especially good with tea.