Friday, October 20, 2006

This Sqrl's got new shoes!



Yup, that's right brand new shoes and girly ones at that and even two pairs, I splurged. I haven't had girly shoes since I was a kid, not a real girly kind a girl, I guess. Makes wearing a skirt kind of interesting. Anyway, these shoes are totally vegan, this is an experiment with alternative shoe material. I'm still not sure exactly how I feel about leather shoes. We're not vegan but we don't buy leather unless by accident. But (good) leather shoes seem to last longer and that's the thing - buy less leather shoes because they last longer or shoes made from alternative materials like canvas or polyurethane that don't last as long so therefore you must buy more, which means more are produced and therefore defeating the purpose. For us it's all about the smallest foot print. Leather is not so good because the treatment and over production of cows. I'm not too sure about the alternative materials, that really depends on the company and how responsible they are. That's most important. What I need to find is leather that comes from happily raised cows, I guess. And of course the processing of leather also needs to be responsible, and of course no sweat shops. And we wonder why I don't buy shoes often.
These shoes though are made in Spain, it's a Brittish company - Vegetarian Shoe Company.
I think I made a pretty good choice, but still not sure about the leather issue. Hummm.........

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the shoes, too cute!!

Unknown said...

I too love the shoes... I have a pair of Timberland Shoes which i would post in my blog sometime then....