Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Paddle Cactus or Nopales






I learn something new this weekend (always a good thing). Our neighbors (their from Mexico) popped over last week while I was at work and dropped a bunch of paddle cactus and told Andrew how to prepare them, than a couple hours later dropped off a little of the salad they make for us to try so we would know how it was supposed to turn out. So this weekend I attemped to make my own version and I have to say it came out pretty good for a first time out. Of course it's not much of reccipe more like - little of this and alittle of that. The they made it was little dry for my taste but I pretty much stayed with what they recommended.

I used about 6-7 paddles
1 small white onion (diced)
1 clove garlic or more (crushed)
handful of fresh cilantro or more
lemon juice from 1 medium lemon
a little olive oil
a little vinegar
a little sugar
salt - to taste

To prepare the paddles you slice them in a way that sort of resembles string beans (after their cooked they actually kind of taste like string beans). Than simmer them in water with a little salt. Cook until tender. Stain and rinse with cold water and transfer to a bowl and mix with other ingredients. I'd let it sit for a little while before serving just to let everything marry together.
Our neighbor version was just the cactus, onion, jalapenjo and cilantro and may be a little juice. Cooked and prepare to same way.

No comments: