Friday, December 08, 2006

Got all kinds of things to show and tell today.... First I found two very different artists today that just rocked my world and I have to share.

Nick Brandt... Now we've all seem wildlife photography and lots pictures of the Serengeti. But these, I don't know are just so different. There's magic in these pictures. I just stared at them all morning.



Kurt Halsey Frederiksen.... I love his illustrations. Something about the simplicity of the faces and the use of color. I like the little sayings also. I wanted to buy a print from him but it looks like he's only currently selling christmas cards and post cards. I'm emailing to find out if I can get a print. The print above is not the one I would have choosen to show but since it's a flash movie I was limited by what I could use. So... Look around in his work, it's so good.

Ok Next is my own stuff..... I'm currently obsessed, it seems with circles. As you can see a little of if below with my Bee Thankful card and my red SPC for this week. It all started with this mobile. This idea has been haunting me forever, it feels like anyway. I saw something months ago in salon window that was something similar and couldn't get it out of my mind. I thought about it and thought about it ,always coming up with some complicated way of making it. I failing uttering twice in making it and eventually put it aside for some other time. But..... It still haunted me..... This is a good example for the importance of stepping back and looking what your doing. My Mother-in-law taught me that. I come from a hard working family and when I started painting with Carole (MIL) she would have us break after only working five hours and say it's time to quit for the day. This felt so wrong to me, I didn't work enough, we'll never get this done.... Well, her theory is that your work will suffer if you get lost in it. You must step back or step away from it for a while to get a new prospective. Over time I could see the logic in her theory and she was so right on. So back to the mobile. It eventually dawned on me the perfect way to build this mobile. And it was so incredibly simple that I can't believe the ridiculousness of my past attempts. Just paper, string and starch paste (or glue). No wires, no paper mache. And I just LOVE this mobile.... Love, love, love. It is so graceful and simple and organic, very organic it reminds of bubbles. I have so many more ideas.... The best part is that I used all straps of paper to make it, straps leftover from Andrew's handmade poetry books. I kept the straps not knowing what I'd do with them and not knowing they had the ultimate destiny of becoming a great mobile. Now this picture above does it no justice, there is almost never any good light now days around here with the sun setting early and tons of rainy, cloudy, foggy days. But I had to show it off, I'm just it love. It's about 6 feet tall. I've made two others that are much shorter only about three tall. One is made with different colored solid origami paper and the other is with printed origami paper. Both are quite beautiful but not as graceful as this white one. Well... Can ya tell I'm excited??

1 comment:

Suzie Ridler said...

You can't get more feminine and infinite than circles, it's a truly spiritual shape. Quite healing too. Wonderful images as well!