Sunday, February 18, 2007

Mesilla

Currently we are in Texas. It feels like we've been here forever. I really don't like this state very much. Sorry to anyone is from Texas, I would love to hear about the good stuff in Texas. I'm betting it's prettty nice in southern Texas near Mexico. Anyone want to try to change my mind about Texas let me know. I don't like not liking a state, seems so judgemental or something. So far I've only found brambles and wind here in Texas, SO windy and everything has thorns it's so strange. A couple tumble weeds and I did get to see a Road Runner!! Very excited about that, they're very silly. We're about to pass through Fort Worth and Dallas and get the heck out of here. And on the Arkansas, on to new adventures. At least there are now trees, a sight for sore eyes.


What I really want to talk about is Mesilla.... In New Mexico about an hour before El Paso TX (if you want to look on a map) there is a city called Las Cruces. We wanted to stay in hotel to get cleaned up and online and some bathtub laundry. But if we're going to spend the money to stay somewhere, we wanted to hang out a little and see the place. Well... We randomly picked LasCruces because we were getting a little desperate. Well... We randomly picked an awesome little town. In Las Cruces there is a section of town called Mesilla. If you know Eureka, CA then Mesilla in like Old Town. Mesilla is so darn cute. Old adobe houses, bunches of dried chillies hanging in every ones windows, shops selling all kinds of local art, antiques store and great Mexican restaurants.



We stopped in this great shop - the Purple Lizard two great gals who work and/or own the shop, great clothes. I got stuck there for longer than expected and walked out with three awesome new articles of clothing. I had to... Everything in the front room was three for $20. Anything..... And we are not talking junk here. Great stuff, really. You must check it out, if ever in the area.


After my little shopping spree we stopped at this little place, I think part of the building is an antique store and the other side, not sure. But it was just great looking. This is the part of New Mexico I was missing. I never understood what was so great about New Mexico. We always drove through on I40 through Albuquerque. Albuquerque doesn't do much for the state, it's not very enchanting (license plates says "Land of Enchantment"). But, now I understand.


And last but not least the houses around Mesilla.

No comments: