Tuesday, November 28, 2006

New Things


This, above is my newest medium...... I have been wanting to try silk screening forever. It's always seemed like something beyond me, too complicated and too toxic. Well it's certainly not complicated and it can be toxic but it doesn't have to be if your willing to do it the old fashioned way. Now days people use a technique call photo emulsion, which more or less burns whatever image you want onto the screen, it's really time efficient and easy. But of course you must use toxic chemicals to do this. So we're just doing it by hand, literally. Which means tracing the image onto the screen and than painting all the negative space. Making it quite time consuming and you must have a steady hand, which thankfully I have. In the end it is worth it because than have a silk screen that you can use over and over. The one above is my first so it's just test, sort of, to practice pulling prints, before I try it on fabric. Oh I have so many idea running through my brain about this.... Endless possibilities.

The other new obsession (and this will make me an official dork) is Battlestar Galactica. Not the original!! The new one on the SciFi channel, though we don't have the SciFi channel, we don't even have a TV. A friend first recommended it when we were discussing our mutual love for Firefly. He said we must see it. That was over a year ago, since than we kept reading about it here and there so we finally broke down and rented it over the holiday.

We are officially obsessed! It is so good..... Must see it from the beginning, in my opinion. Great story, really great actors and not your typical scifi show. A little dark a little sexy and really deep and not very cheesy at all. Thank the Gods it's on the SciFi channel or it wouldn't make it. Good shows with a lot of underlining meaning, that make you think and fall in love with the characters (like Firefly) don't make it on regular channels like Fox. It''s like the general audience only wants tranparent shows like The OC. I'm surprised Lost is still on, it's so different than the usual. I haven't seen since middle of last season so it may have changed but at least it makes ya think a little and the actors are good. Can't stand bad acting, really.

My favorite shows let's see..... Buffy - big time Buffy fans, go ahead laugh but it's the best show I've every episode but one. That was last springs obsession. We watched seven years of Buffy in four months. Yep, big dorks here. Firefly is the absolutely best sicfi show ever. Both Buffy and Firefly were produced and written by Joss Wedon, love his stuff. Carnivale was a great show on HBO, weird and creepy not scarey just a little creepy. And now I'll add Battlestar Galactica, trust me it's good..... So as you can see none but one of these shows are still on. Buffy ran for a long time surprisingly but both Firefly and Carnivale were dropped. And Firefly had a huge fan base but Fox still dropped even after the fans raised money and bagged, yes they begged.

2 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

I have always wanted to do silkscreening and you're inspiring me! I'm a big fan of BST Galactica too and every week I mourn the loss of Buffy on TV. Life just isn't the same without that show. I'm kind of a TV junkie. Can't wait to see what you got on the chakra test!

Carole Free said...

I LOVE the tree silkscreen T-shirt. The redwood is very filled with mythology for me. I want one when it is time..ie you find the right source.. Not a Buffy fan, but only because I never watched. I DO love BST Galactica..and all things science fiction...always did. I image you packing and packing and packing. It will be odd to think of you anywhere else.